Dennis M's Chess Site

This is a blog for chess fans by a chess fan. I enjoy winning as much as anyone else, and I've had a reasonable amount of success as a competitor, but what keeps me coming back to the game is its beauty. And that, primarily, is what this site will be about! All material copyrighted.

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Can Christians Play Chess?

Obviously they can, because they do! I'm a Christian, and I do. So what I'm really asking is this (at least as a first approximation): can a Christian, as a Christian, play chess without thereby doing something wrong? Here are several arguments to suggest the answer is no:

1. The Christian ought, whenever possible, to do something that builds up his fellow man (or woman). But the goal in chess is to defeat one's opponent, thereby tearing the other person down. Therefore, one cannot play chess - at least not to win - insofar as one is acting as a Christian.

2. The Christian ought to foster in himself a loving character. But the competitive nature of the chess game requires just the opposite; a certain self-centeredness in the pursuit of a selfish goal. Therefore, etc.

3. The New Testament teaches us to view others at least as highly as ourselves: "Love your neighbor as yourself," Jesus tells us, while St. Paul wrote "[d]o nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves" (Philippians 2:3). Jesus' admonition seems incompatible with a desire to defeat one's opponent - I certainly don't want to lose games, so why would I wish it on my neighbor? And Paul's statement is a double whammy for the chess player: what is chess about if not rivalry? Worse still, if I really feel of someone that they are more significant than I am, then I want them to flourish, to succeed - just the opposite of what is likely to happen if I defeat them.

4. We are told to "redeem the time" (Ephesians 5:16); that is, to spend our time concerned with things of ultimate significance. Whatever wonderful things chess has going for it, being of eternal or ultimate significance isn't among them. Therefore, etc.

5. A pragmatic argument: one ought not to engage in practices that tend to develop one's ego and set one against one's fellows. Clearly, however, this happens in chess, especially but not only at the strongest levels. Therefore, even if there's no guarantee that these adverse character traits will develop, the relatively high probability makes taking up or continuing to play chess an unjustified risk.

All sophistry? Perhaps, but I'm not completely sure. Some of the arguments seem to me to require deep responses, responses that may have real implications going far beyond the question of playing (or not playing) chess. In any case, I'd very much like to see readers' reactions - though with the restriction that critiques of religious belief be omitted. The issue here isn't whether Christianity is true or false, but whether playing chess is morally compatible with being an (earnest) believer, and if so how to anwer the objections above.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said…

    I wholeheartedly agree with Rakshasas. I would like to add my experience as well.

    I really started getting into chess late last year. I typically like staying at home reading books or watching television, but after discovering online chess I have made a few good friends and have connected with people I would normally not have connected with in the past. I have found other people that have the same desire to improve themselves and a unselfish willingness to help others to do the same, for free!

    I believe God implanted in all of us a desire to create, to be creative, like how he was with the universe. Some of us have athletic creativity, others have artistic creativity, still others have a gift for the written or spoken word. Up until I found chess I didn't have any of those and was searching my whole life to make some sort of contribution. Chess has brought a happiness and confidence that wasn't there before.

    Pawn Sensei

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Victor Reppert said…

    Dennis: I put a comment on this subject on www.dangerousidea.blogspot.com.

    Victor

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dennis - I also have a short comment on this post at my blog - the Jollyblogger.

    http://jollyblogger.typepad.com/jollyblogger/2005/02/jolly_digest_27.html

    Basically I noted that you apparently don't agree with your own arguments here since you are a chess player, right? I also noted that if these arguments prevailed they would prevail against any activity that is competitive.

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Milton Stanley said…

    Well thought out. I don't know if it's sophistry or not, either, but it sure is something to think about--and well reasoned. Thanks for writing it.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would like to add that Scripture says that we are to build “treasure in Heaven.” Since there is very little here on earth that I can take with me, the only thing that is left is doing things that improve the quality of life of those around me. Now, I realize that the intent of the Scripture is directed toward doing good works and helping people. However, to some degree I believe that playing a game of chess with a friend is a good work and is helpful. There is nothing like spending time doing something with a friend. It contributes to his or her significance. That is, I feel more significant when someone likes my company and would like to spend time with me. Whether it’s over a game of chess, or fishing, I believe that when we do things that contribute to a person’s significance, we, to some degree, are building treasure in Heaven.

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger pruittcommunications said…

    You might go over and read my own story regarding competition.

    http://pruittcommunications.blogspot.com/2005/02/can-christians-compete.html

    By the way, I enjoy a game of chess as long as I can win. :-)

    Actually I read a book on chess this year to improve my chess skills.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home