Dennis M's Chess Site

This is a blog for chess fans by a chess fan. I enjoy winning as much as anyone else, and I've had a reasonable amount of success as a competitor, but what keeps me coming back to the game is its beauty. And that, primarily, is what this site will be about! All material copyrighted.

Friday, February 04, 2005

This Week's ChessBase Show

For fans of my ChessBase show (Monday at 9 p.m. ET), here's an early head's-up: Monday's game will be the 9th game of the 1934 world championship match between Alexander Alekhine (the champion, playing Black) and his two-time challenger Efim Bogoljubow. The game features a rather primitive sort of Benoni (in comparison with contemporary standards), but that very feature - its old-fashionedness - helps bring out some of the most important structural features of the opening.

There are interesting moments throughout the game, but I intend to spend a disproportionately large amount of time on the first seven moves: 1.d4 c5 2.d5 e5 3.e4 d6 4.f4 exf4 5.Bxf4 Qh4+ 6.g3 Qe7 7.Nc3 g5. To find out why and to see what I'll have to say, well...you'll just have to tune in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home