Dennis M's Chess Site

This is a blog for chess fans by a chess fan. I enjoy winning as much as anyone else, and I've had a reasonable amount of success as a competitor, but what keeps me coming back to the game is its beauty. And that, primarily, is what this site will be about! All material copyrighted.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

TWIC Theory, Week 2: The Dragon with ...Qa5

TWIC Theory is at it again (go here to access both this week's and last week's installments in either .pdf, .pgn or ChessBase format). Last week's issue looked at an unusual line of the Center Counter (click here for my review); this week, Andrew Martin turns his attention to a line of the same Accelerated Dragon/Dragon hybrid I discussed a few days ago:

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 O-O 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Bc4 Bd7 10.O-O-O and now instead of the move I discussed, 10...Nxd4, Martin turns his critical eye to 10...Qa5 - and finds it wanting.



I will examine his analysis in the next few days and report on my findings. Meanwhile, if any of my readers (Victor?) have any thoughts on this line and Martin's analysis, your comments are especially welcome.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Victor Reppert said…

    Dennis: If you look at the Movsesian-Bergez game Martin is quoting, doesn't Black's defense look a little bit obliging??? 13 Bg5 Rc5 14 h4 Re8 15 h5 Nxh5 16 Bh6
    Bxh6 17 Qxh6 Rxc3 18 bxc3 Rc8? 19 g4 Nf6 20 g5 Nh5 21 Rxh5 and Black got crushed, but Black has 16...Bh8, preserving the bishop, which looks OK for Black, and he also has 18...Nf6 (standard operating procedure in a similar position well-known to theory) intending to answer 19 g4 (attempting to transpose into the game) with 19...Bxg4!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home