Dennis M's Chess Site

This is a blog for chess fans by a chess fan. I enjoy winning as much as anyone else, and I've had a reasonable amount of success as a competitor, but what keeps me coming back to the game is its beauty. And that, primarily, is what this site will be about! All material copyrighted.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Diagrams and Web Transfer Rates

I see that for the second time in 4-5 days, the diagrams have gone down. What happens is this: the diagrams you see aren't really on this page but called up from a different site. That site is free, but they have fairly low limits on the amount of data transferring they'll allow in a given time period, and when that amount is exceeded, it pulls the plug. (Last time it only did so for about an hour; hopefully that's all we'll have to wait on this occasion, too.)

There are a few options I could try, such as creating more free remote sites and splitting the load between them, or simply paying for more throughput. Suggestions?

1 Comments:

  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Dennis Monokroussos said…

    Bill,

    Those diagrams look pretty nice, but they address a different issue. (Plus I'm happy with both the appearance and convenience of the ones I make using ChessBase.) The problem isn't with the diagrams I use or their size but with the remote website's restrictions.

    Think of it like this: the diagrams are like brands of water, this website is like the tap and the remote website is like the water company. The problem is that the water company will allow me to pump a certain amount of water to my tap for free each month (they don't care which brand - it won't make much difference, if any), but when I reach my limit they cut the flow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home